A New Year…So What Now?
Hi Vibrant Friends! We hope that you all had a peaceful holiday. We so appreciate all of your love and support that we received in 2013. We look forward to continuing on our journey of spreading the good word of living a vibrant lifestyle…whatever that means to you!
We have officially made it through the first week of the New Year ~ welcome, 2014! Around this time of year, many people begin to beat themselves up about either not having a New Year's Resolution or about already breaking the one that they have set. I say, screw the New Year's Resolution and get back to basics. As we move forward into a world where health, wellness, innovative ideas, technology and fresh produce are readily at our fingertips, I think that it is important to look at the overall picture: longevity and prevention. Instead of creating unattainable goals that will only last a few weeks or months and will ultimately stress us out more, let's start living our lives the way that we want to each day…day by day. It's not about a number on a scale…it's about quality of life. Recently, I've been talking with friends about intentions and goals versus resolutions…the intention being the feeling behind the overall goal. Often times, a resolution feels so stiff and rigid. No fun! An intention can help us to look at the bigger picture without the added pressure. Living a happy existence is a ripple effect that will not only improve your own well-being, but the people around you. So, let's get started by remembering that there are benefits in various activities that we already are practicing each and every day...
- A good laugh relaxes your muscles as it let's go of physical tension in the body, boosts your immune system by decreasing stress hormones and increasing infection-fighting antibodies, provides an all-natural high as it releases endorphins AND increases blood flow which protects the heart! Ha!
- Staying hydrated is key. It regulates hormones, balances body fluids, improves circulation, clears up skin, helps to maintain ideal weight...the list goes on. Add a lemon to your water to release more toxins. Even a glass of red wine here and there is something to pride yourself on as the antioxidants in red wine have been proven to increase levels of good cholesterol and protect us against artery damage. Cheers!
- By fueling our body with colorful and nutrient rich foods, we are increasing metabolism, decreasing the risk of disease, creating a healthy gut and heart, strengthening bones and improves our overall look...all while feeling better and exciting many of our senses. Bon appetite!
- Reading allows for us to escape from reality, learn something new, take us on an adventure (without opening our wallets) and open our minds to greater possibilities. Diving into a book or newspaper boosts analytical thinking and improves vocabulary...not to mention that it has been proven that people who read regularly are two and a half times less likely to have Alzheimer's. R.I.F! (reading is fundamental)
- Not only is having friends more fun, but it has been proven that human socialization can reduce stress, lengthen your lifespan and enhance your sense of well-being. Friends encourage us to reach our goals, stay mentally sharp and to feel supported when times get tough. High Five!
- Not only does staying active help to maintain an ideal weight, but it also makes us feel positive ~ both mentally and physically...all while strengthening our heart and increasing flexibility. Dance, jump, run, stretch...you name it. Just work it!
- Getting quality rest improves our quality of life. A good sleep can improve memory, reduce inflammation, ignite creativity, help to become more focused and attentive ~ all while lowering stress and depression levels. Try getting under the covers on a regular schedule...the earlier the better. I guarantee you will see the benefits. ZZZzzzz...
- Stop beating yourself up...waste of time. Instead, find ways to give yourself encouragement ~ even if that means saying "no" or by taking a break. Rewards create a sense of doing something that you want to do, not just what you have to do. Pat yourself on the back just for living life...yay!
Let us know what it means to you to live a happy, healthy and vibrant life…today, tomorrow and always! Cheers 2014! Lot's of adventure, excitement and good things to come...