Happy April 1st! With Spring at our fingertips (well, in some parts of the country), I thought what a better way to start off the month with two healthy, light, fresh and Spring influenced dishes to get your body ready for the warmer months ahead. Even if it feels less than Spring where you are, these recipes will get you dreaming of chirping birds, pastels and flower blooms...and hopefully put a little pep in your step.
Fresh Green Soup: serves 2-4 people
1 bunch asparagus, chopped
1 bunch broccoli florets
1 bunch parsley
3 zucchinis, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
4 cloves whole garlic
1 yellow onion, diced
2 lemons, peeled
3 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
|Ingredients for Fresh Green Soup (this is enough for two batches)|
1. Rinse all veggies thoroughly.
2. Add 2 tablespoons sunflower oil in stock pot over light heat.
3. Add garlic and onion to pot, simmer on low for 1-2 minutes or until translucent.
4. Add your greens to the pot with the onions and garlic: chopped asparagus, broccoli florets, parsley (whole is fine), diced zucchini, diced pepper and mix together with wooden spoon.
5. Add 3 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon Herbs de Provence to the pot (or any other seasoning you like for that matter). *For extra kick, add a tiny bit of chili flakes!
5. Pour water into pot over veggies...just so that it covers all of the veggies ever so nicely.
6. Simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes and remove from heat.
7. Using tongs, carefully remove all veggies from water and add to Vitamix or heavy duty blender.
8. Pour the water that you simmered veggies in into blender ~ just so it comes up halfway to the veggies and no more (or it will be too watery).
9. Cut off the rind of two lemons and add to blender.
10. Blend away until super creamy and smooth...and now taste! If your soup feels too chunky, add more water from stock pot or some almond milk. If it needs more salt or pepper add that now as well! And if it needs to be greener, toss in a handful of spinach. Blend until perfect...
*Note ~ save any leftover water from your stockpot! Makes a great veggie broth to be consumed as a vitamin and mineral rich liquid snack or to use when making a grain later in the week!
Baby Kale Salad: serves 2-4 people
half a head of green cabbage (cut in bite size strips)
1 bunch Lacinato kale (cut in bite size strips)
quarter bunch of cilantro
quarter bunch of mint
1/2 jalapeño pepper (deseeded)
1/2 cup toasted almonds
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the cumin, salt, pepper and lemon...and then slowly whisk in the oil. Set aside.
2. Rinse all veggies thoroughly.
3. In a large salad bowl, mix together finely chopped cabbage, kale, cilantro, mint and jalapeño pepper.
4. Pour dressing over greens and mix together with your hands.
5. Chop toasted almonds (I buy them toasted...cheater!!:)) and top off your salad with a nice crunch by sprinkling over the greens! Enjoy!