Tis' the Season to Cleanse
Before you indulge on delicious turkey and decedent dishes, now is a good time to give your bellies a break and begin a pre holiday cleanse. These days there are so may different cleanses that it may be hard to choose the one that's right for you. Depending on your age, weight and lifestyle every-body is different, so don't compare your cleanse with you bff's, co-worker's or partners. Cleanses are a time of introspection, detoxification and reflection. It's a great way to begin the holiday season feeling fresh, rejuvinated and thankful. No matter what cleanse you embark on, remember to fill up and hydrate with lots of water. Besides helping you feel full, water helps to flush the toxins out of the body and assists the cleansing process. Depending on your goal, cleanse for one to ten days, stick with it and empower yourself. Then, once you have given your digestive system a chance to rest, that home-made stuffing will taste even more delicious. Below are the pros and cons of three of my favorite cleanses...check them out and decide which one's right for you.
The Master Cleanse:
First tested in 1940, the Master Cleanse is an easy home made liquid cleanse that consists of combining fresh-squeezed lemon juice, real maple syrup and cayenne pepper into purified water.
|All of the ingredients you need for The Master Cleanse.|
- It's easy and inexpensive to make.
- It's great for immediate weight loss.
- You can stop it at any time.
- You can follow the step-by-step process online.
- It's recommends doing it for ten days.
- It suggests taking a laxative before bed and a sea salt flush when you wake up.
- You may feel hungry and or weak.
- There are little to no nutrients being consumed.
The Juice Cleanse:
A current growing trend, this juice cleanse encourages the drinking of different kinds of juice throughout the day in liu of food. To retain all of the nutrients in the fruits and vegetables, I recommend drinking "cold-pressed" juice. Cold pressed means that there is no heat used in the extracting of juice, so no nutrients are lost due to the heat. If you decide to juice yourself, I'd consult your local holistic doctor or nutritionist to see what kind of juicing would be the best for you.
|So many juices to choose from at The Pressed Juicery|
- There are a variety of delicious juices to choose from depending on your goal.
- If you get juice at a "cold pressed" juicery, it comes ready to drink, which means less work for you.
- Some juiceries deliver if you don't have access to one near you.
- If you have a home juicer, you can make and enjoy juices for your entire family at one time.
- It still delivers nutrients to your body while giving your digestive track a chance a breather.
- If you don't know what your doing, you may still be ingesting a lot of calories.
- You barely get any fiber.
- It can by pricey, especially if you choose the cold-pressed juice option.
- A home juicer can get messy and can be a time-consuming process if not planned out well.
Raw Food Cleanse:
An ideaolgy that whole raw foods are the most nutritious food for your body. In this way, you are able to extract all the nutrients in its entirety from each morsel of food you eat and digest. When you digest cooked food, your stomach has to produce certain enzymes during the digestion process, depleting your definite amount of enzymes and weakening your body.
|A delicious kale carrot, radish, walnut, and pine nut salad.|
- Because you are full of fiber and nutrients, you are not hungry.
- There are a variety of foods to choose from, such as vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds...you can even eat raw hummus!
- You can go to work, work out and still feel energized.
- You may feel bloated and gassy.
- If you're not aware of portion size, you can still overeat.
- I still encourage eating all organic, so marketing is a must.
Organic produce is a bit pricier, but so much better for your body, especially when eating raw.